Texas A&M University
Halbouty Rm 263
Department of Geology and Geophysics,
College Station, Texas 77843
Dr. Thomas Olszewski
Ph.D., Geosciences, The Pennsylvania State University, 2000
M.S., Geology, Kansas State University, 1994
B.A., Geology, Franklin and Marshall College, 1990
- evolutionary paleoecology of benthic marine communities;
- sequence stratigraphy of mixed
carbonate-siliciclastic depositional systems (with particular emphasis on epeiric platform of the
Pennsylvanian-Permian Midcontinent and the carbonate platforms of the West Texas Permian
- quantitative description and modeling of taphonomic processes in relationship to
stratigraphic resolution and time averaging;
- numerical modeling and statistical analysis of
stratigraphic and paleontological data;
- the relationship between paleoclimatic events and
evolutionary turnover in biotic assemblages
- National Science Foundation, EAR-0617355, 7/2006-6/2009, $203,312, PI. Coupling ecology
and taphonomy: An integrated model of molluscan death assemblage genesis.
- Petroleum Research Fund of the American Chemical Society, PRF# 46096-G8, 1/2007-8/2009,
$40,000, PI. Refining sequence stratigraphic interpretations using benthic fossil
communities from the Permian Basin of West Texas.
- National Science Foundation, EAR-0643309, 10/2007-9/2010, $290,801, co-PI. Carboniferous
chemostratigraphy: Do epicontinental seas reflect global ocean conditions?
- 2000-2001 Postdoctoral Fellow in Geobiology, Department of Geological Sciences, Indiana
- 2002-2003 Visiting Scientist, Department of Paleobiology, National Museum of Natural History,
Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
- 2003-present Assistant Professor, Department of Geology and Geophysics, Texas A&M
University, College Station, Texas.
- Olszewski, T.D., and Erwin, D.H., 2004, Dynamic response of Permian brachiopod communities to long-term environmental change. NATURE, v. 428, p. 738-741.
- Olszewski, T.D., 2004, A unified mathematical framework for the measurement of richness and evenness within and among multiple communities. OIKOS, v. 104, p. 377-387.
- Olszewski, T.D., 2004, Modeling the influence of taphonomic destruction, reworking, and burial on time-averaging in fossil accumulations. PALAIOS, v. 19, p. 39-50. (2004 Outstanding Paper in PALAIOS)
- DiMichele, W.A., Behrensmeyer, A.K., Olszewski, T.D., LaBandeira, C.C., Pandolfi, J.M., Wing, S.L., and Bobe, R., 2004, Long-term stasis in ecological assemblages: Evidence from the fossil record. ANNUAL REVIEWS OF ECOLOGY, EVOLUTION, AND SYSTEMATICS, v. 35, p. 285-322.
- Olszewski, T.D., 2004, Review of The Sedimentary Record of Sea-Level Change by Coe et al., PALAIOS, v. 19, p. 307.
- Complete List of Publications
- 2001 Outstanding Paper in Palaios
- 2004 Outstanding Paper in Palaios
- 2005-06 Texas A&M Center for Teaching Excellence Montague Scholar