Texas A&M University
Department of Geology and Geophysics,
College Station, Texas 77843
GEOP628 Basin Architecture, Fall 2009
Dr. Michael Pope
Associate Professor, Interim Director of Berg-Hughes Center
Ph.D. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
M.S. University of Montana
- Integrating litho-, chemo- and chronostratigraphy in a regional sequence stratigraphic framework to understand high-frequency and long-term climatic and oceanic processes affecting development of sedimentary successions; towards this end I am currently most interested in the transitions that occur between global icehouse and greenhouse conditions.
- Using detrital zircon geochronology to understand sediment dispersal and large-scale tectonic processes.
- Determining the structural deformation (twinning, cataclasis, brecciation, etc.) produced in carbonates by meteorite impacts as a means to establish objective criteria for cratering – similar to shocked quartz.
- Associate Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA. September 2005 to 2009
- Assistant Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA. August 1999 to August 2005
- Research Scientist, Mobil Technology Corporation, Dallas, Texas. August 1998-July 1999
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA. October 1995 to July 1998
Awards, Honors, & Distinctions
- National Association of Geology Teachers-U.S.G.S. Summer Field Assistantship, 1985
- Geological Society of America Outstanding Student Research Award 1992
- Geological Society of America, Sedimentary Division, Outstanding Student Research Proposal 1993
- Society of Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogists Student Excellence and Development Award 1993
- Faculty of the Year Award Nominee, Disability Awareness Association, Washington State University 2000
- 2nd Vice-Chair, Sedimentary Geology Division, Geological Society of America 2005
- 1st Vice-Chair, Sedimentary Geology Division, Geological Society of America 2006
- Chair, Sedimentary Geology Division, Geological Society of America 2007
- Past Chair, Sedimentary Geology Division, Geological Society of America, 2008-2009
- Voted Geological Society of America Fellow, 2008
- Dilliard, K., Pope, M.C., Coniglio, M., Hasiotis, S. M., and Lieberman, B., 2007, Stable Isotope Geochemistry of the Lower Cambrian Sekwi Formation, Northwest Territories, Canada: Implications for ocean chemistry and secular curve generation: Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, and Palaeoecology, v. 256, p. 174-194.
- Pope, M.C., Algeo, T., Saltzman, M.R., and Bartley, J.K., 2007, Preface to Special Issue on Proterozoic to Paleozoic Ocean Chemistry: Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, and Palaeoecology, v. 256, p. iii-iv.
- Isaacson, P.E., Grader, G.C., Pope, M.C., Montanez, I.P., Butts, S.H., Batt, L.S., and Abplanalp, J., 2007, Devonian-Mississippian Antler foreland basin carbonates in Idaho: Significant subsidence and eustasy events: Mountain Geologist, v. 44, p. 119-140.
- Grader, G.W., Isaacson, P.E., Diaz-Martinez, E., and Pope, M.C., 2008, Pennsylvanian and Permian Sequences in Bolivia: Direct Responses to Gondwana Glaciation: in Fielding, C., Frank, T., and Isbell, J., eds., Resolving the Late Paleozoic Ice Age in Time and Space, GSA Special Paper 441, Boulder, CO, p.
- Batt, L.S., Pope, M.C., Isaacson, P.E., Montañez, I.P., Abplanalp, J., 2008, Late Mississippian Antler Foreland Basin Carbonates and Siliciclastics, East-Central Idaho and Southwestern Montana: Distinguishing Tectonic and Eustatic Controls on Deposition: in Controls on Carbonate Platform and Reef Development, SEPM Special Publication 89, Lukasik, J. and Simo, T. (eds.), p.
- J. Abplanalp, M.C. Pope, C. Pink, J.A. Watkinson, 2008, Geologic Map of the Southern Beaverhead Range (Parts of Copper Mountain, Shamrock Gulch, Scott Butte, and Snaky Canyon Quadrangles), Clark, Jefferson, and Lemhi Counties, East-Central Idaho: Idaho Geological Survey, Digital Web Map T-08-1, scale 1:24,000.
- Pope, M.C., Holland, S.M., and Patzkowsky, M., 2009, The Cincinnati Arch - a Stationary Peripheral Bulge During the Late Ordovician: Swart, P.K., Eberli, G.P., and McKenzie, J.A., eds., Perspectives in Carbonate Geology, IAS Special Publication 41 Honoring Bob Ginsburg, Sussex, UK, p. 255-276.
- Pope, M.C., Hollingsworth, S., and Dilliard, K.A., Overview of Lower Cambrian Mixed Carbonate-Siliciclastic Deposition Along the Western Laurentian Passive Margin (in review), AAPG special volume to honor James Lee Wilson
- Bush, J., Thomas, R.C., and Pope, M.C., Sauk Sequence Deposition, Paleogeography, Grand Cycle Development and Mass Extinction Events: Northeastern Washington, Northern Idaho, and Western Montana, in review, AAPG special volume to honor James Lee Wilson
- Abplanalp, J., Isaacson, P.E., Batt, L.S., and Pope, M.C., 2009, Conodont biostratigraphy of Chesterian strata (Late Mississippian-Early Pennsylvanian), east-central Idaho and southwest Montana: Mountain Geologist, v. 46, p. 89-103.
- Geological Society of America, 1985-present
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 1992-present
- Society of Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogists, 1992-present
- International Association of Sedimentologists, 1999-present