Texas A&M University
Department of Geology and Geophysics,
College Station, Texas 77843
Ph.D. (1996) Hydrology/Hydrogeology, University of Nevada, Reno
M.S. (1993) Physics, University of Nevada, Reno
B.S. (1989) Physics, University of Science & Technology of China
1. 2016 Dean’s Distinguished Achievement Award in Faculty Research;
2. 2013 Best Paper Award, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, The American Society of Civil Engineers (the single paper won this award in 2013);
3. 2011 Best Paper Award, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (in Chinese), Chinese Hydraulic Engineering Society (one of the three papers won this award in 2011);
4. 2010-2017 Distinguished Endowed Chang-Jiang Scholar, Ministry of Education (MOE), China;
5. 2010 Endowed Ray C. Fish Professor in Geology, Texas A&M University;
6. 2009 Dean’s Distinguished Achievement Award in Faculty Teaching;
7. 2006 Fellow of Geological Society of America;
8. 2004 Distinguished Oversea Young Scientist Award, National Science Foundation of China (2005-2007);
9. 2002 Fred Burggraf Award, Transportation Research Board (TRB), The National Academics;
10. 2001-2002 Big 12 Faculty Fellowship, Texas A&M University;
11. 1999-2000 Montague Scholar, Center for Teaching Excellence, Texas A&M University
1. 2014, Hubei Engineering University (China);
2. 2010, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan);
3. 2006, Huazhong University of Science and Technology (China);
4. 2004, Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Sciences (2004-2007);
5. 2005, China Agricultural University
- GEOL 410 (3 credits): Hydrogeology
- GEOL 614 (3 credits): Advanced Hydrogeology
- GEOL 625 (3 credits): Applied Ground Water Modeling
- GEOL 621 (3 credits): Contaminant Hydrogeology
Professor, Endowed Ray C. Fish Professor in Geology
Groundwater hydrology, flow and transport in geological formations
Groundwater hydrology, flow and transport in geological formations. In particular:
- Flow and solute transport in low-permeability porous media (shale and tight sandstone)
- Stream-aquifer interaction with connected and disconnected rivers
- Vapor flow and transport in the subsurface
- Coupled horizontal/slant wells-aquifer flow and transport processes and its applications in hydrosciences and environmental engineering
- Non-Darcian flow and its impact on non-Fickian dispersion of solute transport in porous and fractured media
- Coupled unsaturated-saturated flow process
- Flow and transport in highly deformable low-permeability porous media
- Coupled flow and transport in aquitard-aquifer and fracture-matrix systems
Peer-Reviewed Publications in the past Five Years (2012-2016)
(* denotes a supervised graduate student, ** denotes a supervised visiting scholar)
1. Wang, Q.*, and Zhan, H.B., Intra-wellbore kinematic and frictional losses in a horizontal well in a bounded confined aquifer, Water Resources Research, in press, 2016.
2. Cao, Z.*, Liu, G.D., Zhan, H.B., Li, C.Z., You, Y., Yang, C.Y., and Jiang, H., Pore structure characterization of Chang-7 tight sandstone using MICP combined with N2GA techniques and its geological control factors, Scientific Reports, 6, 36919, doi:10.1038/srep36919, 2016.
3. Sedghi, M.M., and Zhan, H.B., Hydraulic response of an unconfined-fractured two-aquifer system driven by dual tidal or stream fluctuations, Advances in Water Resources, 97, 266-278, 2016.
4. Zhong, Y., Lei, L., Liu, Y.C., Hao, Y.H.**, Zou, C., and Zhan, H.B., The influence of large-scale climate phenomena on precipitation in the Ordos Basin, China, Theoretical and Applied Climatology, in press, 2016.
5. Huo, X.L., Lei, L.Y., Liu, Z.F., Hao, Y.H.**, Hu, B.X., and Zhan, H.B., Application of wavelet coherence method to investigate karst spring discharge response to climate teleconnection patterns, Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 52(6), 1281-1296, 2016.
6. Ma, C.*, Hu, B.**, Zhan, H.B., and Sun, G., Research on immersion of island roundabout land mass of Chushandian Reservoir, Yangtze River, 47(13), 52-55, 2016.
7. Cao, Z.*, Liu, G.D., Zhan, H.B., Niu, Z.C., and Zhao, D.S., Geological control factors of micro oil distribution in tight reservoirs, Marine and Petroleum Geology, 77, 1193-1205, 2016.
8. Hao, Y.H.**, Zhang, J., Wang, J.J., Li, R.F., Hao, P.M., and Zhan, H.B., How does the anthropogenic activity affect the spring discharge? Journal of Hydrology, 540, 1053-1065, 2016.
9. Rezaei, A.*, Zare, M., and Zhan, H.B., Aquitard horizontal dispersion on reactive solute transport in an aquifer-aquitard system, Transport in Porous Media, 113(3), 695-716, 2016.
10. Zhu, Y.H.*, Zhan, H.B., and Jin, M.G., Analytical solutions of solute transport in a fracture-matrix system with different reaction rates for fracture and matrix, Journal of Hydrology, 539， 447-456, 2016.
11. Blumenthal, B.J.*, and Zhan, H.B., Rapid computation of directional wellbore drawdown in a confined aquifer via Poisson Resummation, Advances in Water Resources, 94, 238-250, 2016.
12. Chen, K.W.*, Zhan, H.B., and Zhou, R.J.*, Subsurface solute transport with one-, two-, and three-dimensional arbitrary shape sources, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 190, 44-57, 2016.
13. Zhan, H.B., Review of flow through heterogeneous geological media, Vadose Zone Journal, 15(4), 1-3, 2016. Doi: 10.2136/vzj2016.01.0008br.
14. Feng, Q.G.*, and Zhan, H.B., Integrated aquitard-aquifer flow with a mixed-type well-face boundary and skin effect, Advances in Water Resources, 89, 42-52, 2016.
15. Qian, J.Z.**, Ma, L., Zhan, H.B., Luo, Q.K., Wang, X., and Wang, M., The effect of expansion ratio on the critical Reynolds number in single fracture flow with sudden expansion, Hydrological Processes, 30, 1718-1726, 2016.
16. Huo, X.L., Liu, Z.F., Duan, Q.Y., Hao, P.M., Zhang, Y.Y., Hao, Y.H.**, and Zhan, H.B., Linkages between large-scale climate patterns and karst spring discharge in north China, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 17, 713-724, 2016.
17. Wang, Q.*, and Zhan, H.B., Characteristic and role of groundwater in critical zone, in Principles and Dynamics of the Critical Zone, edited by Rick Giardino and Chris Houser, Elsevier, Developments in Earth Surface Processes, 19, 295-318, 2015.
18. Wang, Q.*, Zhan, H.B., and Wang, Y., Non-Darcian effect on slug test in a leaky confined aquifer, Journal of Hydrology, 527, 747-753, 2015.
19. Mao, X.**, Wang, Y., Zhan, H.B., and Feng, L., Geochemical and isotopic characteristics of geothermal springs hosted by deep-seated faults in Dongguan Basin, Southern China, Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 158, 112-121, 2015.
20. Qian, J.**, Zhan, H.B., Zhang, Y., Sun, P., and Liu, Y., Numerical simulation and experimental study of bimolecular reactive transport in porous media, Transport in Porous Media, 109, 727-746, 2015.
21. Zhuang, C., Zhou, Z., Zhan, H.B., Li, Z., Dou, Z., and Wang, G., A new type curve method for estimating aquitard hydraulic parameters in a multi-layered aquifer system, Journal of Hydrology, 527, 212-220, 2015.
22. Zhang, S.*, Tang, H., Zhan, H.B., Lei, G., and Cheng H., Investigation of scale effect of numerical unconfined compression strengths of virtual colluvial-deluvial soil-rock mixture, International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, 77, 208-219, 2015.
23. Feng, Q.*, and Zhan, H.B., On the aquitard-aquifer interface flow and the drawdown sensitivity with a partially penetrating pumping well in an anisotropic leaky confined aquifer. Journal of Hydrology, 521, 74-83, 2015.
24. Wang, Q.*, Zhan, H.B., and Tang, Z., Two-dimensional flow response to tidal fluctuation in a heterogeneous aquifer-aquitard system, Hydrological Processes, 29(6), 927-935, 2015.
25. Wang, Q.*, and Zhan, H.B., On different numerical inverse Laplace methods for solute transport problems. Advances in Water Resources, 75, 80-92, 2015.
26. Wen, Z.*, Liu, K., and Zhan, H.B., Non-Darcian flow toward a large-diameter partially penetrating well in a confined aquifer. Environmental Earth Sciences, 72(11), 4617-4625, 2014.
27. Kong, S., Wang, Y., Zhan, H.B., Yuan, S., and Hu, Q., Adsorption mechanism of humic acid on Cu/Fe bimetallic particles and its influence on the reduction of nitrobenzene in groundwater. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, 225:1985, 2014.
28. Wang, Q.*, Zhan, H.B., and Tang, Z., A new package in MODFLOW to simulate groundwater flow in unconfined sloping aquifers, Ground Water, 52(6), 924-935, 2014.
29. Wang, Q.*, Zhan, H.B., and Tang, Z., Forchheimer flow to a well considering time-dependent critical radius, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 18, 2437-2448, 2014.
30. Wang, J.*, Huang, G., Zhan, H.B., Mohanty B.P., Zheng, J., Huang, Q.Z., and Xu, X. Evaluation of soil water dynamics and crop yield under furrow irrigation with a two-dimensional flow and crop growth coupled model, Agricultural Water Management, 141, 10-22, 2014.
31. Li, S.**, Zhan, H.B., Lai, Y., Sun, Z., and Pei, W., The coupled moisture-heat process of permafrost around a thermokarst pond in Qinghai-Tibet Plateau under global warming, Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface, 119(4), 836-853, 2014.
32. Qian, J.**, Zhou, X., Zhan, H.B., Dong, H., and Ma, L., Numerical simulation and evaluation of groundwater resources in a fractured chalk aquifer: A case study in Zinder field, Niger, Environmental Earth Sciences, 72, 3053-3065, 2014.
33. Ma, C.*, Hu, B.**, Zhan, H.B., and Jiang, H., Study on landslide stability based on creep strength reduction technique, Metal Mine, 11, 50-53, 2014.
34. Wen, Z.*, Jin, Z., Jin, M., and Zhan, H.B., Numerical modeling of Forchheimer flow to a pumping well in a confined aquifer using strong-form mesh-free method, Hydrogeology Journal, 22 (5), 1207-1215, 2014.
35. Kong, S., Wang, Y., Zhan, H.B., Liu, M., Liang, L., and Hu, Q., Competitive adsorption of humic acid and arsenate on nanoscale iron-manganese binary oxides-loaded zeolite in groundwater, Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 144, part B, 220-225, 2014.
36. Kong, S., Wang, Y., Zhan, H.B., Yuan, S., Yu, M., and Liu, M., Adsorption/oxidation of arsenic in groundwater by nanoscale Fe-Mn binary oxides loaded on zeolite, Water Environment Research, 86(2), 147-155, 2014.
37. Huang, S., Liu, C., Wang, Y., and Zhan, H.B., Multivariate analysis of the heterogeneous geochemical processes controlling arsenic enrichment in a shallow groundwater system, Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, 49, 478-489, 2014.
38. Kong, S., Wang, Y., Zhan, H.B., Yuan, S., Liu, M., and Zhou, C., Arsenite and arsenate removal from contaminated groundwater by nanoscale iron-manganese binary oxides: Column studies, Environmental Engineering Science, 30(11), 689-696, 2013.
39. Lin, D., Jin, M., Liang, X., and Zhan, H.B., Estimating groundwater recharge beneath irrigated farmland using environmental tracers fluoride, chloride and sulfate, Hydrogeology Journal, 21, 1469-1480, 2013.
40. Zhang, E., Wang, Y., Qian, Y., Ma, T.**, Zhang, D., Zhan, H.B., Zhang, Z., Fei, Y., and Wang, S., Iodine in groundwater of the North China Plain: Spatial patterns and hydrogeochemical processes of enrichment, Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 135, 40-53, 2013.
41. Wang, Q.*, and Zhan, H.B., Radial reactive solute transport in an aquifer-aquitard system, Advances in Water Resources, 61, 51-61, 2013.
42. Wang, Q.*, Zhan, H.B., and Tang, Z., A new parameter estimation method for solute transport in a column, Ground Water, 51(5), 714-722, 2013.
43. Wang, Q.*, Zhan, H.B., and Tang, Z., Groundwater response to dual tidal fluctuations in a peninsula or an elongated island, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 37(15), 2456-2470, 2013.
44. Rezaei, A.*, Zhan, H.B., and Zare, M., Impact of thin aquitards on two-dimensional solute transport in an aquifer, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 152, 117-136, 2013.
45. Gao, G.*, Fu, B., Zhan, H.B., and Ma, Y., Contaminant transport in soil with depth-dependent reaction coefficients and time-dependent boundary conditions, Water Research, 47(7), 2507-2522, 2013.
46. You, K.*, and Zhan, H.B., New solutions for solute transport in a finite column with distance-dependent dispersivities and time-dependent solute sources, Journal of Hydrology, 487, 87-97, 2013.
47. You, K.*, and Zhan, H.B., Comparison of diffusive and advective fluxes of gas phase volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in unsaturated zones under natural conditions, Advances in Water Resources, 52, 221-231, 2013.
48. Wang, Q.*, Tang, Z., Wen, Z., and Zhan, H.B., Numeric simulation for flow to a pumping well with moving boundary of the non-Darcian flow region in a leaky aquifer, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (in Chinese), 43(10), 1171-1178, 2012.
49. Qian, J.**, Liang, M.*, Chen, Z.*, and Zhan, H.B., Eddy correlations for water flow in a single fracture with abruptly changing aperture, Hydrological Processes, 26, 3369-3377, 2012.
50. Li, J.*, You, K., Zhan, H.B., and Huang, G., Analytical solution to subsurface air pressure in a three-layer unsaturated zone with atmospheric pressure changes, Transport in Porous Media, 93(3), 461-474, 2012.
51. Li, J.*, Zhan, H.B., Huang, G., and You, K.*, Determining air permeability in coastal unsaturated zones, Environmental Earth Sciences, 66(4), 1259-1268, 2012.
52. Mieles, J.*, and Zhan, H.B., Analytical solutions of one-dimensional multispecies reactive transport in a permeable reactive barrier-aquifer system, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 134-135, 54-68, 2012.
53. Li, J.*, Huang, G., Wen, Z.*, and Zhan, H.B., A laboratory experiment on radial non-Darcian flow in confined aquifer under steady-state conditions, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (in Chinese), 43(1), 76-83, 2012.
54. Gao, G.*, Zhan, H.B., Feng, S., Huang, G., and Fu, B., A mobile-immobile model with an asymptotic scale-dependent dispersion function, Journal of Hydrology, 424-425, 172-183, 2012.
55. You, K.*, and Zhan, H.B., Can atmospheric pressure and water table fluctuations be neglected in soil vapor extraction? Advances in Water Resources, 35, 41-54, 2012.
56. Xu, X.*, Huang, G., Zhan, H.B., Qu, Z., and Huang, Q., Integration of SWAP and MODFLOW-2000 for modeling groundwater dynamics in shallow water table areas, Journal of Hydrology, 412-413, 170-181, 2012.
Endowed Ray C. Fish Professor in Geology, Department of Geology & Geophysics, Texas A&M University.
Professor, Department of Geology & Geophysics, and Water Management and Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Program, Texas A&M University.
Associate Professor, Department of Geology & Geophysics, and Water Management and Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Program, Texas A&M University.
Assistant Professor, Department of Geology & Geophysics, Texas A&M University.
George B. Maxey Fellow of Water Resource Center, Desert Research Institute.
Research Assistant of Professor Stephen W. Wheatcraft, Department of Geology, University of Nevada, Reno.
Consultant and Research Assistant of Water Resource Center, Desert Research Institute.
Research Assistant of Professor Stephen W. Wheatcraft, Department of Geology, University of Nevada, Reno.
Teaching Assistant of Physics Department, University of Nevada, Reno.
Research Assistant of Professor Peter Winkler, Physics Department, University of Nevada, Reno.