Dept. of Geology and Geophysics
MS 3115 TAMU
College Station, TX 88843
B.S., China University of Petroleum, 1981
M.S., Columbia University, 1989
Ph.D., Columbia University, 1994
Geol 404: Geology of Petroleum
Geol: 619: Petroleum Geology
Geop 661: Reservoir Rock Physics
Geop 689: Reservoir Geophysics
Mollie B. & Richard A. Williford Professor in Petroleum Geology
- Quantitative petroleum geology: Characterization of ultra-deep petroleum systems
- Rock physics: Petrophysics and well log analysis; Poroelasticity, mechanics and electrodynamics of multiphase fractured porous media; Biogeophysics
- Reservoir geophysics: Core-log-seismic-electromagnetic integration for reservoir description – Deep/frontier exploration, enhanced oil/gas recovery, carbon sequestration, and unconventional resources
* STUDENT AUTHOR
Zhang*, T., Y. Sun, Q. Dou, H. Zhang, T. Guo, and X. Cai, Improving porosity-velocity relationships using carbonate pore types, Journal of Computational Acoustics, Vol. 23, No. 4, 2015, pp. 1-8, DOI: 10.1142/S0218396X15400068.
Zhang*, Z., Y. Sun and K. Berteussen, Time frequency wavenumber analysis of surface waves and signal enhancement using S-transform, Journal of Computational Acoustics, Vol. 23, No. 4, 2015, pp. 1-13, DOI: 10.1142/S0218396X1540010X.
Adesokan*, H. and Y. Sun, Rock-physics-based estimation of critical clay volume fraction and its effect on seismic velocity and petrophysical properties, Geophysics, May-June 2014, doi:10.1190/GEO2012-0510.1
Dou*, Q., Y. Sun, C. Sullivan and H. Guo, Paleokarst system development in the San Andres Formation, Permian Basin, revealed by seismic characterization, Journal of Applied Geophysics, 75, 379-389, doi:10.1016/j.jappgeo.2011.08.003, 2011.
Dou*, Q., Y. Sun and C. Sullivan, Rock-physics-based pore type characterization and its application in carbonate reservoir permeability heterogeneity evaluation, Upper San Andres reservoir, Permian Basin, west Texas, Journal of Applied Geophysics, 74, 8-18, doi:10.1016/j.jappgeo.2011.02.010, 2011.
Sun, Y. F., D. Goldberg, T. Collett, and R. Hunter. High-resolution well-log derived dielectric properties of gas-hydrate-bearing sediments, BPXA-DOE-USGS Mount Elbert gas Hydrate Stratigraphic test well, North Slope, Alaska, Marine and Petroleum Geology, 28, 450-459, doi:10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2010.03.001, 2011.
- Professor of Geology & Geophysics, Texas A&M University, 2012.
- Associate Professor of Geology & Geophysics, Texas A&M University, 2007.
- Associate Professor of Geophysics, The Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 2006.
- Doherty Associate Research Scientist, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University, 1998.
- Postdoctoral Fellow and Logging Scientist, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University, 1995.